- Type: East Tailings / Dam Lift
- Localisation: Mazapil, Mexico
- Surface: 89.970 m²
- Product: COLETANCHE® ES3
The first stage of the East Tailings Dam at Minera Peñasquito was waterproofed with a 60 mil LLDPE. All subsequent lifts above elevation1862,7 were planned to be built with rockfill. Continued waterproofing with LLDPE would have required a 0,70 m bedding layer for GCL, a GCL layer, a 0,30 m GCL cover layer, a 0,15 m soil liner and the LLDPE. Both the customer and the consultant wanted a simpler solution to waterproof the upstream face of the dam.
The first lift is 13-meter-high with a slope of 2, 9H:1V.
The solution finally chosen was to use COLETANCHE ES3 deployed on top of a 0,50 m layer of well graded gravel to serve as a transition between the rockfill and the membrane.
To minimize material waste COLETANCHE ES3 was manufactured in 45 m special length rolls.
The main reasons to choose COLETANCHE ® for this project included:
- Its elevated traction and puncturing resistance.
- Minimal requirements for preparation of the support surface
- Possibility of connecting to polymeric membranes