- Type: Tailings pond and dam
- Location: Mazapil, Mexico
- Area: 89,970 m²
- Product: COLETANCHE® ES3
A 60 mil LLDPE (polyethylene) seal was installed during East Tailings Dam construction. All subsequent height raising components were built with riprap. Continuing with LLDPE waterproofing would have required installing a 0.70 m layer before laying a layer of GCL and a 0.15m coating before finally laying the LLDPE waterproofing. The customers wanted a simpler alternative to waterproof the upstream face of the dam (13 metres high with a slope of 2.9H:1V).
They chose Coletanche ES3, deployed on a 0.50 m layer of gravel for the transition between the riprap and the membrane.
To minimise losses, 45 m rolls of Coletanche were specially manufactured.
Coletanche’s benefits for this project were:
- Its high traction and puncture resistance,
- Little preparation required for the supporting surface,
- Possibility to weld to polymeric membranes.