- Type: Reservoir waterproofing
- Location: Santiago de Chile, Chile
- Area: 480,000 m²
- Product: COLETANCHE ES2
The Estanques de Pirque project is located in the Pirque, a region approximately 75 km south-east of the city of Santiago. It consists of six reservoirs capable of storing 1.5 million m3 of raw water taken from the Maipo River.
The water stored in these reservoirs is fed to the Las Vizcachas water treatment plant when the waters of the Maipo River have high turbidity caused by the heavy rains that occur in the Andes. These reservoirs require regular cleaning to remove settling sludge.
They have a maximum depth of 6 metres and internal slopes of 2.5H:1V.
The chosen solution was a multi-layered system using COLETANCHE® for waterproofing the slopes and the bottom of the reservoirs.
The main reasons COLETANCHE® was chosen for this project are:
- The product is NSF/ANSI 61 certified so it can be used with potable water systems.
- The possibility of covering COLETANCHE® directly with asphalt.
- Its high resistance (without additional protection) to alterations caused by weather conditions, especially the action of UV rays.
- Its lifetime is compatible with this project’s expected lifetime.