- Type: dam
- Localisation: El Mauro, Chile
- Surface: 10000 m²
- Product: ES3
- Date: 2006
The dam is made of roller-compacted concrete with a height of 23 m and a capacity of almost 600,000 m3. It is located at an altitude of about 1,000 m where ambient temperatures range from -5 to 25°C. The purpose of this structure is to store clean water for agricultural activities. It was designed with a COLETANCHE® ES3 geomembrane to waterproof the upstream face and to prevent underground leaks.
The customer chose COLETANCHE® geomembrane for this project because:
- It’s easy to install and repair
- High puncture resistance
- It has excellent weather resistance
- It has durability in real-life conditions exceeding 40 years
- It has a higher friction angle than any other geomembrane (34°)
- It can be continuously installed throughout the day despite temperatures of 30°C
- It is UV resistant
The joints between the BGM sections have an additional advantage over other types of geomembrane. The joints were welded at high temperature using a simple gas torch. No specialised equipment was required, making this type of installation a simple activity.
Local workers were trained on the ground before the installation work began. This feature meant only one specialist supervisor had to be on site during the installation work.